Monday, December 3, 2012

My Honor Code

Rocky Romance can't say "no" to a beautiful woman - except when she's already married. That's his code.
I attended Bishop Hartley High School in Columbus, Ohio. Some accept everything they are taught in a Catholic education - and it was a heck of an education. Others rebel and reject everything. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle.

My sister says I'm a lapsed Catholic even though I write a couple checks and attend Mass a few times a year at St. Anne or St. Monica - and I'm ashamed to say that when I walk up the front steps of church my mind sometimes wanders to a certain Anne and a certain Monica - neither of them very saintly but each smoking hot - respectively.

But even if I have a hard time saying no to the temptations of the flesh, I have one code I never break - at least not knowingly, so if I do sin it is based on ignorance. But no matter how enticing, how exquisite, how eager, how available - I always say "no" to a married woman.

My job is to help people sort through the ups and downs of a relationship. Some rocky romances aren't worth saving and I try my best to help one of the parties understand that. But all relationships have ups and downs, so I likewise try to help my clients know when it's worth fighting for. That's why I honor marriage vows even if I've never been married myself.

That's my code - and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment